This is an analysis of the poem A Dream Of Death that begins with:
WHERE shall we sail to-day?'--Thus said, methought,
A voice that only could be heard in dreams: ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xabc cXXd eXaf bcff ebac egXh dgaX aXeh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111011110 0111010101 1111001111 0101010101 1001110001 1101011101 0101011111 0001001011 1111110001 1111110101 10011001001 1011111111 1101110111 0101011001 1101111100 10110001101 1101111101 1101010101 0101001101 1000011111 1101011111 01010101001 1111011100 0101010101 11111001001 1101011111 1011111111 100111111010 1111010101 11101110101 1011100101 1011010101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 181
- Average number of words per stanza: 34
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; so, or, one are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word or is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Dream Of Death;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.