This is an analysis of the poem Dark August that begins with:
So much rain, so much life like the swollen sky
of this black August. My sister, the sun,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abc XXb dda ceX dde Xbe fXbXdef
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,3,3,7,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111110101 0011011001 1001011111 1011010101 1010101011 101111101 1000110011 11010010100101 10101001 11111 1111111110 110011111010 010110101 010100010 10101000100 111101110 1001001 0110010110010 101010110001 11101111 111011101 11110111111 01101111 1110110011
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 123
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word she is repeated.
The author used the same word she at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in it:
- summary of Dark August;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.