This is an analysis of the poem Bums at Breakfast that begins with:
Daily, the bums sat down to eat in our kitchen.
They seemed to be whatever the day was like:...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabcXXad efcgcXge ddXbdggh XdcXfhgg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 100111010110 11001100111 00111110111 0011110101 1101011011 10110010100 11111011001 11010101001 110110101101 010110111001 11010111010 011111000010 10101110111 10111100 111111010110 1101011001 1111010011 110011101110 011111001010 11111111001 1111000101 111111110110 1101101110110 11011001001010 1011011011 1101010111 111111101010 110110110101 11110101110 110111001110 101110100110 11011110010
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 379
- Average number of words per stanza: 71
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; they, his, their, meant, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words if, their are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase it connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Bums at Breakfast;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by David Wagoner
- Analysis of Do Not Proceed Beyond This Point without a Guide
- Analysis of Report from a Forest Logged by the Weyerhaeuser Company
- Analysis of Getting There