This is an analysis of the poem At the Washing of My Son that begins with:
I ran up and grabbed your arm, the way a man
On the battlefield would recognize a long-lost comrade....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcadXdXcXebec
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with trochaic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 11111110101 10101110101111 10110110101 10111011110 01110010110 1001101111 11011110100 111011111 11001110 101011010 1110010000111 110001111111 11101101111 110110101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 643
- Average number of words per stanza: 127
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, you, i are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of At the Washing of My Son;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.