This is an analysis of the poem Grey Evening that begins with:
When you went, how was it you carried with you
My missal book of fine, flamboyant hours? ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaaX baba cdcd bebe fccf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11111011001 11010101010 11010101110 11011100111 1101011111 01010010011 11001010101 1101010111 11110101001 01001000101 1101010101 1101110011 1101010001 0101000101 100110101 1101110111 1111110101 10011101110 11011101110 0101110101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 178
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, you, with are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words my, and are repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Grey Evening;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.