This is an analysis of the poem Sonnet Lxix: Autumn Idleness that begins with:
This sunlight shames November where he grieves
In dead red leaves, and will not let him shun... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaabbacdcdcd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 0111010111 0111101111 0111010101 10010100101 1100010101 0111010111 10101000101 1100010101 1101010101 1111011101 1111110011 110110011001 11111111001 1111011111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 634
- Average number of words per stanza: 118
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; here is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word here is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sonnet Lxix: Autumn Idleness;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Analysis of A New-Year’s Burden
- Analysis of Sonnets Lxxiv: Lxxv:Lxxvi: Old And New Art
- Analysis of Sonnet Lxvii : The Landmark