This is an analysis of the poem Sacrament Hymn that begins with:
ON a fair Sabbath day, when His banquet is spread,
It is pleasant to feast with my Lord: ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaabcbcbdbdbbbbdada
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 20,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 101101101001 001001011 01011101101 001101101 101111011011 11001111 01001101001 11001001 11111001101 11111001 11011001111 111001101 11100101001 01001001 11001101011 101101001 11101001101 11101011 01101011001 011101101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 898
- Average number of words per stanza: 176
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, burthen, in, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sacrament Hymn;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.