This is an analysis of the poem The House Of Dust: Part 04: 02: Death: And A Derisive Chorus that begins with:
The door is shut. She leaves the curtained office,
And down the grey-walled stairs comes trembling slowly...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcdc dbefe Xghih Xafbf XiiXei dajbj eciki lbfXf ekeeXXbglal
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,6,5,5,5,11,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010111010010 110111110010 0101001 01011100010 0111110101 10010111010 01010111110 11110101001 110011111010 11001111111 1110110111100 10100101110 11010100101 11011101110 1111011101 110111010100 100101001010 1111010011 10111011110 1101011111 11011101111 11010101110 111101011010 11111101110 111111110101 111111001010 111011011110 11111001010 11011101001 111101101110 0101111001 111101001011 0111110000110 111011101 10110011101 111101101 111100101110 100110111010 1111011111 1111011100 110111 111001111011 110101111111 1111011111 10010110110 110101010010 11110101010 11001111110 11100111 110010101010 11110001
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 247
- Average number of words per stanza: 45
- Amount of lines: 51
- Average number of symbols per line: 48 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; we, to, he, and, you, know, all are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words he, we are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase paying connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The House Of Dust: Part 04: 02: Death: And A Derisive Chorus;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Conrad Potter Aiken
- Analysis of The House Of Dust: Part 02: 03: Interlude
- Analysis of The House Of Dust: Part 02: 09: Interlude
- Analysis of Sea Holly