This is an analysis of the poem When Dawn Comes To The City that begins with:
The tired cars go grumbling by,
The moaning, groaning cars, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Ababcdcd AAEAXCEXEAEXAc Ababafaf AAEAXCEXEAEXAc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,14,8,14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 010111001 010101 1011111001 100111 100100111 110111 11010101 111011 11101010001 0010010001 1011101010 1011100001101 101110101010 110111001 101010101010 11110101010 1010110101010 0010101000111 1100010001110 101011100 1111010001 111011 010111001 010101 1011111001 100101 01010101 1001010 111101001 0110010 11101010001 0010010001 1011101010 1011100001101 101110101010 110111001 101010101010 11110101010 1010110101010 0010101000111 1100010001110 101011100 1111010001 111011
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 452
- Average number of words per stanza: 82
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, crowing, braying, neighing, lowing, calling, there, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, and, there are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines sea is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of When Dawn Comes To The City;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.