This is an analysis of the poem 'Not Altogether Sleep' that begins with:
Blithe love, what dubious ponderings bemuse
Thy lover's mind! . . . In me thy memories are...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbacbXX ccdeed
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: Shakespearean sonnet
- Metre: 11110010001 11010111001 1100110101 1011011101 011000100101 0101011111 0110110100 1101010001 11010100100 0101001101 1011010101 01011010101 1111110100 1001010011
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 280
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of 'Not Altogether Sleep';
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.