This is an analysis of the poem Why A Picnic, Jane? that begins with:
But, why a picnic, Jane? We went last year,
And missed the Cup; and you know how you grieved... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababccdd ebebfdfd afaffdfdXbdbdffff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1101111111 1101111111 0111111011 1101111101 0111000101 1111110101 1101011101 1101110111 1111111101 0101010101 0111110001 110110111 0101111101 11010111101 0111010111 1001110111 1111010111 0101010111 1111111101 11011111101 1011110101 1001101101 1101110101 1111110011 1111111111 1111110101 011111001 1101010101 1111101101 1101110101 1111111111 1111001101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 370
- Average number of words per stanza: 69
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, 'lo are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word jane at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Why A Picnic, Jane?;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.