This is an analysis of the poem Whales that begins with:
The ways of the learned to me are 'Greek,'
And professors and such amaze me.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaXa bcbc dddd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010010111 101011011 1101100111 111011111 1100101111 111101010 01001011001 101101110 111001101001 1010110010 001111001001 101001010
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 166
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; me is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Whales;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.