This is an analysis of the poem The Mellowing Of Joe that begins with:
When the Laborites and Liberals are bickering,
Are a-calling and a-bawling in the House,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaXacac adadadaD XXabaXaX aeaeaXaX XababadaD
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10100011001100 10101010001 1010001001100 101011111010 1011101010100 0111010101 1010001110100 11100011101 1110111010100 00101010001 1111101000100 10111110101 1110101010100 10100010101 111011000100 101001111 1010001010100 10010001101 1010001000100 10101111101 1110101000100 10101010101 1010001000100 101100010111 1010101001100 00100010001 1010101001100 10101000100 1010101011100 11100010101 1110101000100 11101011101 1010001000100 1011010001 1010101010100 11101010001 1001101010101 10101010111 1110011000100 101001111
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 363
- Average number of words per stanza: 66
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, while are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Mellowing Of Joe;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.