This is an analysis of the poem The Exception that begins with:
I dance upon the wash-house roof,
And fill my hair with straws,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdccD efefgdggD eaeafdffD fhfhcgccg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,9,9,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11010111 111101 10110101 111101 010100111 111101 11111111 11111110 110111 11011111 010111 11010101 111111 11010111 111101 11010111 11010101 110111 11110111 010111 01111011 011101 101111111 011111 1111111 11010101 110111 11010100 111011 11011111 001101 01111101 111101 11111101 101110111 111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 278
- Average number of words per stanza: 57
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Exception;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.