This is an analysis of the poem The Dictator that begins with:
Avaunt! What news is this I hear
Of portent grim and sinister?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd edXd feXe fgfg hdhd ijij ejej gkgk ljlX meme eXei
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 10110011 01011100 01110111 01111100 11110111 11010100 11011111 11010100 11010101 00011100 11011100 11110100 11110101 11110100 110111010 01110100 11110111 11010111 11000101 11011011 11110001 01110100 10010101 01010111 11010111 11110100 11011101 11110100 11000100 11010100 11110001 01110100 11011101 01110101 11010101 0110001 11110111 01000100 11011111 11001000 11011011 11010100 01010111 11000100 11110111 01011000 01111101 11010100
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 130
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, to, i, be are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Dictator;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.