This is an analysis of the poem The Defence that begins with:
Not guilty, yer Honers! I talks to yer straight!
An' I calls it a pretty crook game ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXbcded Xfgfhbeb dfhfXcic ejjXekek ilelabfb Xbbbkdagd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11011011011 111001011 111001001011 101010111 111111110000 001011011 101111101111 111111011 111011111001 101111011 111001011011 111101011 101101101101 011110001 101111001101 111111101 11001011011 101111011 111111101111 101101101 110111111111 111111101 010011101110 111101010 1001101010001 111011001 111001010111 11100001 111011011111 101001101 101011111011 110001101 111011101101 111011011 111111111001 111001001 111011101101 110011011 111011101001 111001001 111011001101 111111101 101001011111 001001011 111100011001 001101011 1110010011 11 111011011
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 354
- Average number of words per stanza: 72
- Amount of lines: 54
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, an', fer, they, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word an' is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Defence;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.