This is an analysis of the poem The Automatic Umpire that begins with:
Now, Plugger Palook was a man in a thousand
(Said Horace the Howler) not one of yer fools.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaXXcac XdXXXeXe dXXXXfXf aeeXdbdb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110101010010 11001011011 101001111001 11101001101 110101010011 11001101001 1111010100010 1101011011 110010111110 011110110010 011110010110 110111011101 110010110010 101001011011 1010110110110 1111001001 011010010110 11011001011 1011110111010 11101011011 10110011110111 11011010001 101101011101 11111101001 1111111001010 111101111101 1111010110010 11101101011 1011111110010 11011011101 01001100111010 1010111001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 396
- Average number of words per stanza: 76
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; no, his, plugger, he are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Automatic Umpire;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.