This is an analysis of the poem Sanctuary Scorned  that begins with:
Oh, is there not one place on earth
Where man's goodwill has gone from birth... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbcddEEc ffXeghhEEg eeiiXeeEEc iccXieeiiX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,10,10,10,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10111111 11111101 11010001 00010101 01000100 10110101 11011101 01010101 11111111 11110100 01110101 11010100 1111110 10010101 01010100 11110101 11110101 01010101 11111111 11110100 11011101 010101001 11110101 11010101 10011000 11010101 11111101 01010101 11111111 11010100 11010101 11001100 111001010 111111001 11010101 11010111 01011011 11011111 11011101 01010101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 322
- Average number of words per stanza: 59
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; me, there, and are repeated.
The author used the same word where at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sanctuary Scorned ;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.