This is an analysis of the poem Our Street that begins with:
In our street, the main street
Running thro' the town,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcb bded bcbc bXdX aaaa Xeee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 011011 10101 11010101 10111 111101 10101 1011101 110101 01000101 111101 0100011 111101 0100011 111101 010110101 1111110 0101011 110101 1010101 010101 1010111 10001 1000111 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 113
- Average number of words per stanza: 21
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 27 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; men, and, things are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase men connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Our Street;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.