This is an analysis of the poem Old Town Types No. 26 - Dr. Andy Deveraux that begins with:
Some saw in him a Scottish wreck; some said that he was mad;
A few proclaimed his genius, but all agreed 'twas sad... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXXbbcX ccXXddbX eeaaaaff ccbbaaaX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11010101111111 0101010110111 11010100111111 1101010111111110 11110101111111 01010101110101 11111101111101 11101010010111 111111010101 11110101110111 11001001111101 101011111110101 11001101101111 110111110101101 010101001110101 11011111110110 11010001110111 1111111110111 01011101100101 010110001100111 11110101110101 01010101111001 11111100111111 00011101010101 11010101110101 11001101110101 11010111110101 1111111110101 00110101010111 010101001010101 11010111010101 110111011101000
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 484
- Average number of words per stanza: 92
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 60 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; him, had, post, what, and, to are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Old Town Types No. 26 - Dr. Andy Deveraux;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.