This is an analysis of the poem Old Town Types No. 21 - Mr Woolin-Wister that begins with:
Mr Woolin-Wister was assistant at the store,
He had an air of breeding, and the kind of clothes he wore... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccdX eeffXXdX bbgghhdX aXbXiidX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1010101010101 11110101010111 01010101010001 110010111010001 001010101110101 11001001011100101 1010110101010101 11010101110101 11011100010101 01010110010001 11010101010101 1010101001010111 01110100010011 111001100010101 11011111011101 101010101100101 010001000111001 01011101110101 111000101110001 11010101110001 101110101001101 1100101011100101 110010101110101 11010101110101 1111011110001 11110101010100 01110111011111 1010010010100010 101010100110001 11010101110101 111111101010001 11010101111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 454
- Average number of words per stanza: 86
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 56 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; he, his, many, then are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Old Town Types No. 21 - Mr Woolin-Wister;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.