This is an analysis of the poem Old Pete Parraday that begins with:
Old Pete Paraday, his mind works very slow;
But, when it fastens on a thoughts, he will not let it go.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbXX XXbbXX ccddXX XXbbcX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11100011101 11010101101101 11001100011101 11110111010101 11010111110111 111101011101110 11100110101 11101110010111 110101011110011 01010100110101 11111100110101 11110100110110 11100110011 11101110110011 11110100011111 11111111111101 11101110111101 111111001101110 111100110111 1111110111111 01010100111100 11101110111011 11111100110111 11011101111100
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 346
- Average number of words per stanza: 68
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 57 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; it, he, ', an' are repeated.
The author used the same word old at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Old Pete Parraday;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.