This is an analysis of the poem Futility that begins with:
To gild refined gold, or to paint the lily,
Or seek by other means to overstress,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXaX bcbc XdXd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011101010 1111010100 11110011010 11001010010 11110111010 1111011100 1100011010 0110011011 10110101010 0101110101 01001100110 0111110101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 169
- Average number of words per stanza: 31
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to, of are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Futility;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.