This is an analysis of the poem Dogs that begins with:
I've never met a man who hated dogs....
One meets with all sorts as through life he jogs ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbaa XX aaccdd cc ccaaee ff aaggff Xgg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,2,6,2,6,2,6,3,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1101011101 1101111111 0111011101 0101011101 01110010101 1111111101 1101000011 10110110001 1001001001 0101010101 1111110111 1111110101 1111011001 0101000101 1111010101 0111110101 1101100111 1111011101 010100110 1101110101 1111011101 1101010111 1101110101 111101001001 1111111001 1111001111 0111111011 0101111111 1101010011 1111011111 1101010101 10111001101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 170
- Average number of words per stanza: 34
- Amount of lines: 39
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; could is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, to are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Dogs;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.