This is an analysis of the poem Affable Alf that begins with:
Have you heard the inscrutable mutable Alf,
The mannerly man with the silvery tongue?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abccbXd efXgfhh eiggiXd afXXfXd djXXjXd ejggjXd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,7,7,7,7,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111001001001 01001001001 10010 10110 1001101001 11100010010010 011010010010 011100010010 11001011101 0101000 101100 1111101001 1101100100100 100100101100 011000010010 0110001001 110100 100100 10010010011 1111010101110 110010010010 101001001001 01100001001 010000 101000 1101100011 111110010010 11001010010 1110100101 0010010101110 101000 11000 100100100110 101011011011 010010010010 0110001001 110010010111 1100100 100100 001100100011 010010010010 110010010010
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 252
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 42
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words his, and, you'll are repeated.
The author used the same word his at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word deakin at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Affable Alf;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.