This is an analysis of the poem A New Year Thought that begins with:
Brother, who on some near morrow
Makes a pledge conceived in sorrow... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabXccXX bbccccdd cceeffcc ccggccee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10111110 10101010 10111010 10100100 10101010 0011010 10101110 10101110 1011111 1111101 11111110 11111010 11001110 11111110 1011111 1010111 11100110 11101110 1110111 1111101 11111010 10111010 11101010 01100110 10100010 10111110 1110111 1011101 11011010 10100010 1010111 1111101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 258
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A New Year Thought;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.