This is an analysis of the poem A Port Forsaken that begins with:
She sent her five fighting ships once on a day
To meet the bold Spaniard in battle array:...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb cXcc ddbb eeXb ffaa fXbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11011011101 01011001001 101110001111 01011001001 1111010010101 1100101101 110001011001 1100111001 111111011011 01101011001 01001011001 11001011001 01011001001 011110110101 111011101101 101001101001 11111011011 101001001101 01101101101 11011011011 01101001111 01011011010 101101111001 01011001111
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 199
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; from, and, her are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words with, her, but, the are repeated.
The author used the same word she at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Port Forsaken;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.