This is an analysis of the poem A Birthday that begins with:
My heart is like a singing bird
Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabaXbcb XcXcXXXb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010101 11000101 11011101 11110101 11010111 110001001 11010111 01110101 11010111 10011101 1001110000 11100101 10011101 01110101 01011011 01110101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 271
- Average number of words per stanza: 55
- Amount of lines: 16
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, and are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word me at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Birthday;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.