This is an analysis of the poem Prayer's Before Sleep that begins with:
Straight A's on arithmetic quizzes, your cheek gets ground
into the concrete down here, Sir. Thank You...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XX Xa Xb cX Xa XX bc ab dd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111010101111 0001011111 1101011010011 1110101111010 101101011011110 1110011001101010 1110100010110 11011111110101 11011011111 111010011011 01001011110 111101001011 10100010001111 011110010110 1110110101101 1011011111101110 010101101100010 100110111111010
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 109
- Average number of words per stanza: 20
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 54 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; your, my, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Prayer's Before Sleep;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Chris Forhan
- Analysis of Late Meditation
- Analysis of My Almost-Daughter, My Nearly-Was Son
- Analysis of Vanishing Act