This is an analysis of the poem Two Years Ago that begins with:
The light of other days burns dim,
And in the shade is cast, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbbcdeD faXacdeD ghdhbdfD ihXhbdXD cgXgfdfD ajfjXdfD XkbkddfD ibibXdgd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010111 100101 11010101 110101 0101110 110111 11111100 011001 1001111 111001 11110001 1011001 1101010 111101 11111100 011001 11010101 1111001 01011111 010111 10110101 011101 11111101 011001 11110100 110101 11011100 010011 11010111 110111 111111101 011001 10011111 011101 1011111 010101 11010111 110011 11110100 011001 01111101 010111 11011101 1010101 101010100 110101 100100111 011001 11111101 1111001 11010111 010101 11111101 110101 11111101 011001 11011111 010101 11110101 011111 1111110 111101 00111101 111001
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 241
- Average number of words per stanza: 47
- Amount of lines: 64
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word ago at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Two Years Ago;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Charles Thatcher
- Analysis of Chinese Immigration
- Analysis of The Private Despatch Of Captain Bumble Of The 40th Stationed At Ballarat To His Excellency Sir Charles Hotham
- Analysis of The Queer Ways Of Australia