This is an analysis of the poem On The Countess Dowager Of Manchester that begins with:
Courage, dear Moll, and drive away despair.
Mopsa, who in her youth was scarce thought fair, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccddeeffgghhggii eeddffddjj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 20,10,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1011110101 1010011111 01010100101 1111000101 1011011101 11010100101 0101110101 1101110101 1101010101 0111000101 0101001101 1011100101 01010100111 0101110101 1001010101 1001010111 1101000101 1000110101 1101000101 1001010011 1001110001 0111110011 0101010101 1101010101 1111110111 1110010101 1111011101 1011010101 1101100100 0110010100
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 656
- Average number of words per stanza: 115
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word her is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of On The Countess Dowager Of Manchester;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.