This is an analysis of the poem Written On The Day Of My Aunt's Funeral that begins with:
Thou too art dead, ---! very kind
Hast thou been to me in my childish days,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcccXcdeafaXXcabccdggaXXgbgXdefb X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 33,1,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111101 1100101101 1101011101 11111101111 0101111101 0101110101 11101100110 0101000101 0101110101 10110000101 1111111101 1011011111 1101100101 1101110101 1101 1111010111 101101 1111011111 1111011111 0101010111 0011111111 1101111111 1111110101 1101010101 0101000101 0101010111 0101010111 01010101001 0111011011 1111010101 1011010101 0111010101 0101000101 10101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 696
- Average number of words per stanza: 131
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thou, and, man are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word a is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Written On The Day Of My Aunt's Funeral;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.