This is an analysis of the poem Babel that begins with:
KNOW ye in ages past that tower
By human hands built strong and high? ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaab cdccd eeeee fgffg hehhe igiig jbjjb ee eXeXgcggc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,2,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 110101110 11011111 110101010 110101010 010101 01110111 11010101 010100111 11011101 110111 11111111 10111111 11011111 11010001 110101 01110111 010100101 11010101 10111111 010001 1010100111 11110101 11010101 11010101 110101 11110101 010101001 01010101 111100111 110111 11111101 01011001 01111111 01110111 100111 01000101 10110111 01110101 110000101 110111 11011101 01010101 11011111 01000101 010101
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 158
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 45
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, to, of are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, of are repeated.
The author used the same words then, of at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Babel;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.