This is an analysis of the poem The Deserter that begins with:
I'm writing you a letter...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AbcX cdaa AeXf ceca ghih eidd bXfa jkdc jllf hake ggfAXhlca
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10101 0101010 101101 01101 1101 11110 01101 01111 10101 111101 111101 011010 010111 1111 101001 1110010 1111 1111101 1111101 11101 1101101 110001 111101 111101 1110100 1111 1111 11111 1001110 10111 1110 101001 1011101 10101 0100010 110110010 01001 01010 1101 0101 011010 1111 1100010 10101 011101 1101 11001 11111
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 86
- Average number of words per stanza: 18
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 21 (very short strings)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you, my, i, she, to, refuse are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, and, they, refuse are repeated.
The author used the same word if at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Deserter;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.