This is an analysis of the poem Sonnet On Affixing A Tablet To The Memory Of Captain Cook And Sir Joseph Banks Against The Rock Of Their First Landing In Botany Bay that begins with:
I have been musing what our Banks had said
And Cook, had they had second sight, that here... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXaabbacdecde
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 1101011111 1111110111 1100010110 0100110101 1101111011 1111011111 1111010111 1111010101 01011101001 1001000101 1101010101 1101010101 1100010011 0110110101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 615
- Average number of words per stanza: 112
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; had is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sonnet On Affixing A Tablet To The Memory Of Captain Cook And Sir Joseph Banks Against The Rock Of Their First Landing In Botany Bay;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Barron Field
- Analysis of On Visiting The Spot Where Captain Cook And Sir Joseph Banks First Landed In Botany Bay
- Analysis of Botany-Bay Flowers
- Analysis of On Reading The Controversy Between Lord Byron And Mr Bowles