This is an analysis of the poem Down The River that begins with:
Hark, the sound of it drawing nearer,
Clink of hobble and brazen bell;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab AcAX XXXdAeae fgfgaXaX hihXaXXX djdjAiAX fhfhXAcAc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,8,8,8,8,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101001010 10101101 101001010 10100111 1011011010 10100101 1011011010 10100101 1001011100 10101100 110011100 11110101 1011011010 11101111 111011010 11110101 1011011100 10100101 1110011100 10101101 1011011110 10100100 101101010 10100100 101101010 10100101 111001110 10100111 1011111110 11111101 111011100 10101100 1011101010 11010111 110111110 10010111 111011010 11111101 111011010 1001011110 111101110 11111101 111011110 11100101 1011011010 10100101 1011011010 10101111
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 222
- Average number of words per stanza: 40
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, down, river, what, that, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words so, what, one are repeated.
The author used the same word where at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Down The River;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.