This is an analysis of the poem Contrastes that begins with:
A antítese do novo e do obsoleto,
O Amor e a Paz, o ódio e a Carnificina,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXXX XXXX XXX XXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,3,3,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: sonnet with trochaic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 010110111000 110101111010000 11110101111101000 101101101100 1101001111011 101010110100 1100100001010000 110101011010 11101011111000 1100010100 10111100010100 110010111100 1110001100110 111101100
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 133
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 17
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; o, e, homem, as are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word o is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word rio at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Contrastes;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.