This is an analysis of the poem Lives that begins with:
O the enormous avenues of the Holy Land, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcXade cfcd Xfcb gddX Xhabi eajbcXXc Xbgkdke Xibjf Xcdc kXkbXbhbc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,4,4,4,5,8,7,5,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1 1001010100101 010100 11010010 10101001 011011 1111100110 101010101111010 0100101110 111001010101 010101010111 11111110111 0110101001000 111101010 1101000101010 11011 110011110 101100 00101011 1 11001010101 111111001 001001011010 1010101 101010100 001100101 11011100100 011011 10101110100101 00100111100101010000 1110111010 001000111 11101111000110 0101001101 110001101010 110101010 11010111 01011100000101 1010010101011 1 001111101111 110101 11010010100 1110000110 0010101101010 11101000110 01101010 1110100100 0001001001010010101 101010101 111010001 11111 11010010 11110101101 1110001 0111010
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 184
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; on, of, i, my, to, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word i is repeated.
The author used the same words i, in at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lives;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.