This is an analysis of the poem Ancestral that begins with:
The star dissolved in evening—the one star
The silently ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbcXXcXcdXdXX eXXbX Xcae
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,5,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0101010011 0100 111111 11011 11101 0100 110101 11010 1011 101 10010 11111 0111010111 1 11110001 0101001111 00110 11111 1101 111101 0111010101 1011010101 1101011101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 208
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 25
- Average number of symbols per line: 24 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; still is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, and are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase far connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Ancestral;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Archibald MacLeish
- Analysis of L'An Trentiesme De Mon Eage
- Analysis of The Old Men In The Leaf Smoke
- Analysis of Liberty