This is an analysis of the poem Homesick In Old Age that begins with:
He climbed to his feet in the cold light, and began
The decrepit progress again, blown along the cliff road,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaX XbX Xcd abd eXc Xbd eXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110010011101 00101101101011 10100101010 010111111 0100100101001 0111110101010 101110110 1000011110 1001011111 111111001 101010011 11010111011 101011101 0101001101110 111110111 11110101110 110111101010 1111100101011 11001011101001 11011010111 0101011101000101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 143
- Average number of words per stanza: 25
- Amount of lines: 21
- Average number of symbols per line: 47 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; your, i, my are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Homesick In Old Age;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Aogán Ó Rathaille
- Analysis of On The Death Of William Gould
- Analysis of The Drenching Night Drags On
- Analysis of Valentine Brown