This is an analysis of the poem Saul And David that begins with:
It was a villainous spirit, snub-nosed, foul
Of breath, thick-taloned and malevolent,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abba cddc XXdX ceec fggf aXda
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 01010010111 01110010100 110011100011 1010101 1111110111 0101011101 10010101111 100101 010001000011 101100111000 01010111010 10101010 01011100101 01011101001 110101100101 1010001 10110010101 10010101001 1001011011 101001 11010100010 010101001110 1001100001 1111010
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 163
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many three dots in the poem. Readers should think of the author's idea together with the pensive speaker.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Saul And David;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Anthony Evan Hecht
- Analysis of Late Afternoon: The Onslaught Of Love
- Analysis of Lizards And Snakes
- Analysis of Curriculum Vitae