This is an analysis of the poem Fair Helen that begins with:
I wish I were where Helen lies;
Night and day on me she cries; ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AAAB ccXb XddB eEEB XXXb ddXb AAaX cccB XXXBXAAab
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11101101 1111111 11101101 111001 10011101 110111001 10111101 110101 11111111 111111111 11011101 111001 11110101 11110011 11110011 111001 11011101 1110101 1110101 1011111 11010101 11010011 11111100 010111 11101101 1111111 10111111 11011010 11011101 01001101 11111111 111001 11110101 010111011 1101011 111001 11101101 1111111 11110001 111111
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 128
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, my, me are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words none, i are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines guide, sma' are repeated).
The poet repeated the same word lea at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Fair Helen;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.