This is an analysis of the poem The Maid Of The Sweet Brown Knowe that begins with:
COME all ye lads and lassies and listen to me a while,
And I’ll sing for you a verse or two will cause you all to smile; ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabX ccbX ccbX bbbX cXcc ddbX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11111101100101 111110111011101 010101111100111 1110101000100111 11110110110101 1111010110100 11110111110011 1111101010100111 0111011111101 01011101110001 111111011111101 1110101010100111 111101111111 11010101111101 11010101110111 111101110100111 01111011110111 11101100110111 101111101110101 11111111111110101 0111111110100111 111011101111111 11111111010011 1111111110100111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1600
- Average number of words per stanza: 321
- Amount of lines: 29
- Average number of symbols per line: 54 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, you, all, to, we, my, for, i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words we, look are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Maid Of The Sweet Brown Knowe;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.