This is an analysis of the poem If I Ever Marry, I'Ll Marry A Maid that begins with:
If ever I marry, I'll marry a maid;
To marry a widow, I am sore afraid:...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXX aaaX bbcc dXXd XXeeXaaee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 01011011001 01001011101 11111011001 11011111111 01011111001 101001101011 01001011001 10110101011 01110011110 1111101011 01001101101 11111101011 01011011001 10110001010 1010110110100 101111011101 01001011011 111111011001 101111101001 111001011001 101011011011 001001010101 101001001011 11101111111
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 181
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; marry, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word but is repeated.
The author used the same word a at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of If I Ever Marry, I'Ll Marry A Maid;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.