This is an analysis of the poem August 8th that begins with:
Listen here. I've never played it safe
in spite of what the critics say....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcc XcXXdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101110101 01010101 11010101011 111111101 11111111111 1111111010 110111111 00101111101 11001111 11010101010 1100011111 1011010101101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 263
- Average number of words per stanza: 49
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, up are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of August 8th;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Anne Sexton
- Analysis of Angels Of The Love Affair
- Analysis of The Truth The Dead Know
- Analysis of And One For My Dame