This is an analysis of the poem To A Friend, On Being Asked To Write Some Verses that begins with:
I thought the Soul of Song had made
This heart of mine her sepulchre;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXaX bcbc dcdc efef bXbX Xfcf dbXb gcgc hhhhXbaba
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010111 0101010 11010111 11111100 11111101 11010101 11010101 11010101 11110110 01110101 11010111 11111101 111100101 11010101 11110100 11110100 11110101 11111111 11011111 11110101 11111101 111001001 01111101 01110101 11010101 01110101 01110100 11010101 110100101 11110111 11010111 11010101 010011101 010010101 01111101 01110101 10111011 11010101 01110111 01001101
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 149
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; her, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words she, the are repeated.
The author used the same word for at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To A Friend, On Being Asked To Write Some Verses;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.