This is an analysis of the poem Lines On An Incident Observed From The Deck Of A Steamboat On The Mississippi River that begins with:
Where the dark primeval forests
Rise against the western sky... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaXa XbXb cccc Xcdc XeXe bfff cgXg dhfh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10101010 1010101 11100010 0011101 11101010 0010101 00100010 0010101 11111110 1110101 11101110 1010111 01101100 1111111 10101010 0011001 10111010 1110111 11101110 1010101 10111010 0110101 101001010 0011101 10101010 0010101 10111010 1010101 10101010 1010011 11101010 1110101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 130
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; now, he are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word now is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lines On An Incident Observed From The Deck Of A Steamboat On The Mississippi River;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.