This is an analysis of the poem A Game Of Lawn Tennis that begins with:
What wonder that I should be dreaming
Out here in the garden to-day?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaX acac XXXb XcXX Xbab
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110111010 11001001 01101010 1001100 010110110 01011011 11001110 01111 10110101100 1011010010 01001010 01111 011111100 01011001 1010010010 1010010 11110010 11101 110111010 01001001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 120
- Average number of words per stanza: 21
- Amount of lines: 22
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, of, are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines is repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Game Of Lawn Tennis;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.