This is an analysis of the poem Contentment that begins with:
Sleep fell upon my senses and I dreamed
Long years had circled since my life had fled.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaaaabb XcdccdXX XXeXXeaa fgfggfaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1101110111 1011011111 0111001111 0111110001 1111111101 1000010101 10001111010 10010011110 1001010110 1101010011 0111010101 1111110111 1100110001 1011010101 011111010010 010101111000 1111010111 1111001111 0101010101 01010101001 1101010111 0101011101 11010011110 10000100010 1110100101 0101110001 1111010001 1001110101 1101000101 1101110101 11110001010 111101101010
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 341
- Average number of words per stanza: 58
- Amount of lines: 32
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines ' is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Contentment;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.