This is an analysis of the poem The Angel Of The Sombre Cowl that begins with:
When sight and sound, by Pain's oppressive hand,
Were dimmed, and low the shaded night-light burned, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaaXaaaXaaaaaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 15,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 1111110101 0111010111 0101011111 0111100101 11010101110 0101010111 1111010111 0100010111 110001111 11111001011 1001010101 0100011111 0101110111 1100011101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 309
- Average number of words per stanza: 57
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Angel Of The Sombre Cowl;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.